Being aware of the crucial role information technologies play in the economic and social progress not only in Lithuania but all over the world and in order to achieve its goals VPIA continuously and actively cooperates with national state institutions, local and international non-governmental organizations and education institutions.
VPIA activities are the following:
- Representing legitimate interests of VPIA members towards state institutions;
- Implementing a wide range of preventive-educational initiatives which promote the protection of computer software copyright;
- Providing advices in the field of information technologies;
- Organizing seminars, conferences, training in the field of software management and protection;
- Taking part in conferences and seminars on intellectual property protection held by other organizations and education institutions;
- Participating in other associations’, NGO’s and committees which are involved into strengthening of IPR enforcement and protection;
- Preparing recommendations, advice and publications on computer program software protection.
COOPERATION WITH VMI AND PD
On 31 December 2010 the Police Department under the Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Lithuania (PD), the State Tax Inspectorate under the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Lithuania (VMI) and VPIA signed an agreement regarding cooperation in computer software copyright protection. The agreement was drafted in accordance with Chapter VI of the Lithuanian Law on Copyright and Related Rights; Article 8 of the Lithuanian Law on Police Activities; terms and conditions of Article 30 an 31 of the Lithuanian Law on Tax Administration with the purpose to implement the Government’s programme approved by Decision No XI-52 of the Lithuanian Parliament on 9 December 2008 and to enhance the protection of intellectual property rights in Lithuania, prevent unauthorized use of computer software, ensure a more efficient collaboration between state institutions and associations protecting intellectual property rights.
As a means of implementing the agreement VPIA has provided recommendations on computer software protection enforcement to PD and VMI staff. Also as a sign of effective collaboration VPIA has organized free training courses (workshops) to the Lithuanian police and State Tax Inspectorate officials on the Aspects of Computer Software Use in five biggest cities of the country: Vilnius, Kaunas, Klaipėda, Panevėžys, Šiauliai (the total of 224 (two hundred and twenty four) participants).
COOPERATION WITH LBAA
On December 2, 2013 VPIA signed Cooperation agreement with the Association of Accountants and Auditors of Lithuania (hereinafter – LBAA). By cooperating, the parties seek to strengthen protection of intellectual property in Lithuania, improve the knowledge of accounting specialist in the field of legal software usage, and ensure proper software accounting.
During this cooperation VPIA and LBAA prepared Recommendations for Software Management (please visit Useful information).